- I want more people commenting on my posts.
- I want to get featured in Huffington Post.
- I want to be on The Today Show.
- I want more likes, shares, and retweets.
- Why can’t I have more Facebook fans?
STOP THE DRAMA. YOUR BUSINESS IS NOT ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT. IT’S ABOUT WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS WANT.
The secret to getting people to give a HOOT about what you say online is to follow these 3 rules…
- Allow yourself to be vulnerable to either criticism or getting lots of hugs based on what you say and/or type.
- Create content that is both TIMELY & RELEVANT not only the interests/musings of your target customer, but, sometimes, with what is also going on in the news.
- Focus on telling a story rather than dishing out jargon. STORIES are real. They give your customers a chance to know you on a personal level.
I am guilty myself of wanting those same things you want – comments, clicks, shares – all of that. I’m a marketer at heart – I couldn’t be any other way if I wanted to. But, I have noticed that the articles of mine you respond to the MOST all follow those rules – they are REAL, VULNERABLE, TIMELY. They are STORIES.
Is something on the tip of your tongue for your audience this week? If so, ask yourself what personal stories do you have that can follow suit.
So in my urging you to be more vulnerable and timely with your content, I should probably also cave and tell you a personal anecdote about my own experiences telling stories and allowing myself to be vulnerable (as so far, this post is only timely and relevant)…
A couple weeks ago, I told you I had a brilliant idea for a business (or so I say hahaha) – when I shared my idea with the people I am closest to (my family), they insisted I let it be and not pursue it. I heard a lot of common protestations – “Liz, this is too crowded an industry – come on, now.” Yadda yadda. Well, if I had listened to Liztuition, I’d have done it by now.
That said, allowing yourself to be vulnerable can have its drawbacks.
But, when I shared that story with you ON MY BLOG AS A BRILLIANT FORM OF CONTENT, I got some pretty great responses. And by the same token of VULNERABILITY, I shared a ridiculous photo of me reading tarot cards in college to go along with it.
IN ALLOWING MYSELF TO BE VULNERABLE, I NOTICED MY OPEN RATE FOR THAT E-BLAST INCREASED 30%.
Have you had any content that has been successful? Why did it work in your favor?